|— GRAND CHASE —|
Still in pursuit of Ashtaroth, Mari and the Grand Chase enter the land of Archimedia when Mari suddenly loses consciousness among the Relics of Kounat. While unconscious, the Soul Stone makes contact with her and reveals all the secrets behind the destruction of the Kounat Kingdom. The Soul Stone contains the ultimate essence of the divine and has hitherto remained buried within the ruins. Mari then absorbs the powers of the Soul Stone and is transformed into the Geas.
"Geas" once referred to someone who was exceptionally gifted into communicating with the divine in the ancient Kingdom of Kounat, one who was a step closer to the deities than everyone else.
The Geas takes advantage of her enhanced speed and mobility, and unlike her 3rd job which fought primarily by installing machines and summoning magic, Geas takes advantage of combinations quick reactions and special skills operated by simple commands. Barrier and Canceller are added to her MP skills, allowing her to nullify enemy attacks. Long range attacks are also possible while in Seize Mode. Geas can summon Magic Orbs that prevent enemy MP from being restored while eliminating AP. In addition, using the special technique Drain prohibits AP characters from using their specials and critical skills for a set period of time.
RequirementsIt is necessary to be lvl 40 to participate in the 4th Job Promotion.
(Cost 18,000 GP)
- Slay 250 monsters within the range of ± 2 above or below level monsters.
- Clear Sanctum of Destruction 4 times.
(Cost 11,800 Cash)
- Obtain 1 Gem
||"Never look back."|
||"Now is the time to retreat."|
||"Truth is a bitter pill to swallow."|
|Basic Combo||Mari swings her Soul Takers up and down, then they thrust forward, ending with a last hit from the Soul Takers retreating back.|
|+||Critical Attack||Mari swings her Soul Takers down, launching the opponent upwards.|
|+||Double Attack||Mari swings her Soul Takers down, launching the opponent upwards|
|+||Jump Attack||Mari jumps and swings her Soul Takers in an arc formation in front of her.|
|Dash||Mari dashes forward.|
|hold when dashing||Rocket Dash||Mari conjures runes from her hands, which propels her forward. Holding the button makes her keep propelling forward. Pressing when doing Rocket Dash will cause her to do the Rocket Jump instead of a normal jump.|
|+||Dash Attack||Mari summons an ice spike with one hand.|
|+(Pause)+||Rocket Jump||Mari conjures runes from her hands, which propel her above. Can be done after a dash or in a Rocket Dash.|
|++||Booster Reverse Dash||Mari's Soul Takers boost backward, causing her to go backwards.|
|+(Pause)++||Rocket Air Dash||Mari conjures runes from her hands, which propel her forward. Can be done after a Rocket Jump.|
|+ during a jump||Soul Spear||Mari descends quickly and deploys her Soul Takers to form a spiked shell around.|
|Barrier||Mari summons a barrier around with her Soul Takers, nullifying damage and hitstun taken. However, knockdown and launch effects will still affect Mari.|
|+||Grab|| Mari impales her enemy with her Soul Takers, sending them one at time.|
(Note: Both players are invincible throughout the animation.)
(Note: Only works in PvP; Dungeon monsters cannot be grabbed.)
(Note: Due to lag, it may not work, or may intercept the opponent's attack/skill.)
|Stance Change|| Mari engages a stance to use her Stance Change abilities.|
(Note: This ability will wear off if a command is not used)
|+||Mana Shield||Mari envelopes herself in a shield made of blue flames that cause damage to be taken from MP instead of HP. The shield last 10 seconds, although there is no cooldown and thus it can be summoned again to create a new one or to refresh the cooldown of the old one.|
(Note: if Repair is active, Mari will do Canceler instead.)
|+||Repair||Mari summons three orb that recovers a certain amount of MP over time that last for 15 seconds. If hit whilst the orbs are still active, the orbs will disappear but immediately grant the MP it would have given if left untouched. Also allows Mari to use Silence or Canceler and consume the orbs.|
|++||Silence||Mari launches the three Repair orbs forward; they reach sightly lesser than the end of the screen. This attack blocks the AP regeneration of AP characters (Dio, Zero, Ley, Rufus, and Veigas) and prevents them from using any technique/special skill for 5 seconds.|
|++||Canceler||Mari consumes the three Repair orbs to deploy a barrier that nullifies any attack. Lasts 4 seconds, with a 10 second cooldown.|
|+||Summon Mega Launcher||Mari's Soul Takers form a cannon. The cannon is aimable similar to Lire's arrows.|
|++||Attack with Mega Launcher||Mari's Mega Launcher fires an orb which travels a long distance and knocks away enemies.|
|LVL 1 Basic||Mari's special skill that makes an enemy fly vertically forward with the swing of the Soul Taker.|
|LVL 2 Basic||Mari's special skill that envelops the Soul Taker around her body, forming an electrical circle that gives constant damage and electrocutes enemies who fall within a specific region.|
|LVL 3 Basic||Mari's special skill that uses strong, magical power to summon pieces of ice which are shot down from the sky, inflicting great damage and freezing enemies who are hit. Has approximately a full screen range.|
|LVL 4 Special||Mari's Soul Taker orbits around her and each fires an upward laser. The huge amount of magical residue causes a fallout that inflicts damage over time to all enemies on the map.|
- The Elsword character Raven has a skill called Charged Bolt where he forms a barricade of spikes around his body.
- The Elsword character Raven's Sword Taker class was originally named Soul Taker during development.
- Geas was stated to be the last MP class ever to be released. However, with Rin's arrival, this is no longer true.
- According to her profile and The Awakening, Mari supposedly fainted in Relics of Kounat. However, in-game, she fainted at Thunder Hammer instead after hearing about the Demons. It is possible that The Awakening occurs after the the Chase fight the demons outside of Relics of Kounat and is not stated in-game.
- According to Void in the same comic, Mari is the key of Kounat.
- Mari appears as Geas in the Ra Canyon. However, the events of Alcubra occur before Archimedia, indicated by the level progression and that Jin says in Goblin Work Site that the Chase accidentally took a detour. This could otherwise be a design error.
- In the Irish Mythology, Geas, or Geis, is an idiosyncratic taboo, whether of obligation or prohibition, similar to being under a vow or spell. In other words, it is a sort of curse brought by a vow. Aside from being a curse, the Geis is also a key device.
- Mari's in-game model gains a triangle-shaped jewel on her forehead when she advances to Geas, but only when she is equipped with her Soul Takers.
- Geas is the second fourth job to receive a visual overhaul, the first being Dusk Bringer, giving her an alternate job costume and new visual animations.
- When Geas performs Freeze Tempest in her alternate job costume, the rune that appears above her has the same symbol as the ones that Ley uses for her specials.
- According to a Brazilian article, Geas's Awakening set is based on the alternate reality where Mari is the reincarnation of Agnesia instead of Rin. In this reality, because of her amnesia, Mari is easily manipulated and follows the Twilight path.